Rockefeller Related Organizations
Subseries 1 - NarcoticsSeries 4 - Leonard V. Harrison's Files
Subseries 1 - NarcoticsSeries 5 - New York Police Psychopathic Laboratory.
Photograph Collection: Yes
Organizational History: The Bureau of Social Hygiene was incorporated by John D. Rockefeller, Jr., in 1913 as a result of his service on a special grand jury to investigate white slavery in New York City in 1910. The purpose of the Bureau was "the study, amelioration, and prevention of those social conditions, crimes, and diseases which adversely affect the well-being of society, with special reference to prostitution and the evils associated therewith." A grant-making agency that emphasized research and education, the Bureau did not have an endowment but was dependent on financial backing from the Rockefeller Foundation, the Spelman Fund of New York, the New York Foundation, and individuals such as Paul Warburg and John D. Rockefeller, Jr., the main contributor.
From 1911 to 1928, the Bureau's main targets were prostitution, vice, narcotics, and police corruption. Between 1928 and 1934, the Bureau shifted its emphasis towards criminology, crime reporting, juvenile delinquency, social hygiene, and narcotics. The Bureau ceased making new appropriations in 1934, and by mid-1937 all previous commitments had been brought to a close.
Series 3 and 4 are also available commercially on microfilm from: Scholarly Resources Inc., 104 Greenhill Avenue., Wilmington, Delaware 19805-1897, Tel.: 1-800-772-8937 Fax: 302-654-3871 e-mail: email@example.com
Search All Collection Guides