Rockefeller Related Organizations
MISCELLANEOUS ROCKEFELLER RELATED
ARTS, EDUCATION AND AMERICANS PANEL RECORDS, 1958 (1972-1979)
Size: 21 cu. ft.
Contents: includes correspondence, financial records, research papers, transcripts of meetings and conferences, and clippings. Over half of the material relates directly to the activities of the Panel and the preparation of the 1977 report. Series 4, Norris Houghton Files, may present the fullest overview of the council's policies and activities. The collection also includes materials relating to Charles B. Fowler, John I. Goodland, David Rockefeller, Jr., and National Council for the Arts in Education, and arts and children generally.
Arrangement: Records are arranged in five series:
Organizational History: The Arts, Education and Americans Panel (1974-77), chaired by David Rockefeller, Jr., was the culmination of the work of the American Council for the Arts in Education (ACAE). Established in 1972 as the successor to the National Council for the Arts in Education (formed in 1958), the ACAE was designed to promote the arts as an integral part of school curricula at all levels of education. The Panel's final report, published as Coming to Our Senses, appeared in 1977.
DOWNTOWN-LOWER MANHATTAN ASSOCIATION, INC., 1937-1995 (Bulk: 1958-1974)
See Collection Guide
Size: 85.5 cubic feet, 236 manuscript boxes
Contents: The records document all aspects of the Association's activities from its creation, with the consolidation of the Downtown Manhattan Association and the Committee on Lower Manhattan in 1958, through its most active and successful years of 1958-1974, through the mid-1990s with its participation in the Lower Manhattan Project and its resulting updated Lower Manhattan Plan, and the role played by the DLMA as the supporting organization for Lower Manhattan's Business Improvement District (BID) the Alliance for Downtown New York. The material encompasses the meeting records of the Board of Directors, Members, Executive Committee, Planning Committee and other prominent committees, a limited selection of officers files, financial records, membership records, projects, DLMA publications, and reports and studies.
The overwhelming majority of the records are contained in the projects series which documents the creation, development and evolution of many of the important projects advocated and recommended by the DLMA in the realm of land use, redevelopment, and traffic and transportation improvements.
The DLMA collection serves as a model of successful urban renewal and collaboration between the public and private sectors and various agencies of all levels of government. In many ways any study of the activities of the Downtown-Lower Manhattan Association is truly a snapshot of the history of New York City, its position as the dominant urban center of New York State and the United States, as well as its place in the global economy. Urban and regional planning are dominant themes throughout, but the records also illuminate the complex maze of elected officials, city agencies, commissions and public authorities that must be navigated, with all of its significant players, from the local community board to the Board of Estimate, City Council, City Planning Commission, the Mayor's office, as well as the participation of such powerful entities as the Port Authority and the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, and community groups such as the Lower Manhattan Cultural Council.
The Association was largely a success, in that many of its aims were successfully implemented to foster the expansion of business occupancy, modernization of facilities, creation of residential opportunities and a subsequent increase of the residential population, and expansion of community and social services especially during the 1960s and early 1970s, and these successes are documented throughout. But the records also uncover its failures, those projects that succumbed to political, economic, legal and community obstacles. Above all, the records indicate the commitment, dedication, perseverance and cooperation needed to allocate resources in keeping with a long term vision for the betterment of the community.
Arrangement The records of the Downtown-Lower Manhattan Association are arranged in the following manner:
Series 1: Preceding Organizations (1937-1961) (Bulk: 1952-1958) 11 Boxes, 3.7 Cu. Ft.
Subseries 1: City Hall Park Association (1937-1947)
Subseries 2: Greater New York Civic Center Association (1947-1954)
Subseries 3: Downtown Manhattan Association (1952-1958)
Subseries 4: New York State Chamber of Commerce Committee on Lower Manhattan Redevelopment (1956-1957)
Subseries 5: Committee on Lower Manhattan (1956-1959)
Subseries 6: Consolidation (1937-1961) (Bulk 1956-1958)
Series 2: DLMA, Inc. (1957-1995) (Boxes 12-226, 236, Folders 95-1979, 78.875 cu. ft.)
Subseries 1.1: Corporate Records - Board of Director's Meetings (1958-1995)
Subseries 1.2: Corporate Records - Members Meetings (1958-1995)
Subseries 1.3: Corporate Records - Committee Records (1958-1993)
Subseries 1.4: Corporate Records - Officer's Files (1958-1995)
Subseries 1.5: Corporate Records - Breakfast Meetings (1987-1995)
Subseries 1.6: Corporate Records - Financial Records (1957-1995)
Subseries 2: Membership (1958-1995)
Subseries 3: Projects (1957-1995)
Subseries 4: Bulletins and Publications (1945-1995) (Bulk 1958-1973)
Subseries 5: Reports and Studies (1948-1994)
Series 3: Alliance for Downtown New York, Inc. (Downtown-Lower Manhattan Business Improvement District) (1975-1995) (Bulk: 1993-1995) (Boxes 227-235, Folders 1980-2069, 2.925 cu. ft.)
Photograph Collection: Yes
Organizational History: The Downtown-Lower Manhattan Association (DLMA) is a non-profit association of individual and organizational members consisting mainly of prominent business leaders in the Lower Manhattan community. It was created to serve as a voice for Lower Manhattan, to foster and promote the economic, civic, social and cultural welfare of the area and to transform it from a commuter dominated business center to a multi-use total community.
The DLMA was officially established in 1958 through the consolidation of the Downtown Manhattan Association, Inc. (founded as the City Hall Park Association in 1937) and the Committee on Lower Manhattan, Inc. (originally organized as a committee of the New York State Chamber of Commerce) with David Rockefeller as its chairman.
The DLMA serves as a vehicle for Lower Manhattan's business and institutional leaders to interact, develop common goals and objectives and to work in concert with the public and with representatives at every level of local, state and federal government to facilitate implementation of its plans and long-term vision. To accomplish its objectives, the DLMA's main course of action is to initiate, or to commission, studies, surveys and reports and to disseminate these findings to the general public, public bodies and government officials and to subsequently support those proposals deemed to promote Downtown and oppose those that would be a detriment to the area.
The historical legacy of the Association will surely be connected to the role it played in the creation of the World Trade Center. But the development in the area goes far beyond simply the construction of the World Trade Center and the expansion and modernization of Lower Manhattan's business capacity. In the area of education Lower Manhattan dramatically expanded its holdings including the Borough of Manhattan Community College (Washington Street urban renewal project), New York University Graduate School of Business and a newly constructed 2-block campus for Pace University and the DLMA sponsored Murry Bergtraum High School in the Brooklyn Bridge southwest urban renewal area. Residential expansion included Chatham Green and Chatham Towers, the Southbridge Towers and the eventual completion of Battery Park City. There was also significant expansion of community services including the Beekman-Downtown Hospital and a downtown branch of the New York Public Library. A short list of cultural and recreational accomplishments includes South Street Seaport (a 33-acre site including a state sponsored Maritime Museum, restored buildings, recreational, entertainment and shopping facilities and a fleet of ships for public educational use), the Museum of the American Indian located in the former U.S. Custom House, the Whitney Museum of American Art and the restoration of Bowling Green Park.
GOLDSTONE & HINZ RECORDS, 1926-1981
Size: 70 cu.ft.
Contents: The collection is open with written permission from the Archive Center. A finding aid is available. The collection includes letters, memoranda, reports, work papers, maps and surveys related to Rockefeller properties and Westchester County, New York.
Photograph Collection: Yes
Organizational History: Goldstone & Hinz is the architectural firm that performed work on the Rockefeller family home known as Kykuit, in Pocantico Hills, New York.
MARTHA BAIRD ROCKEFELLER FUND FOR MUSIC ARCHIVES, 1957-1982
Size: 118 cu. ft.
Contents: The grant files, although unprocessed, are open for research and are accessible through a card index. Administrative files will be open January 1, 2003.
Photograph Collection: No
Organizational History: The Martha Baird Rockefeller Fund for Music began in 1957 as a private philanthropy of Martha Baird Rockefeller (1895-1971), herself a pianist, to respond to various needs she saw in the field of music. The Fund was incorporated in 1962. Its interest centered on young solo artists, who received support directly through individual grants designed to address specific problems in the early stages of a career, or indirectly through contributions to performance organizations that offered advanced training and employment in important capacities. Until Mrs. Rockefeller's death in 1971, the Fund was supported by her contributions of $600,000 annually. Her will provided for an unrestricted bequest to the fund of $5,000,000, and the trustees elected to continue the program at the same level until funds were exhausted. The Fund was dissolved in 1982.
MEMORIAL SLOAN KETTERING CANCER CENTER RECORDS, 1885-1997
Size: 657.7 cu. ft
Permission: Open with permission of the Archivist, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center (https://library.mskcc.org/about/staff-directory). Certain corporate, administrative, financial, and patient records, as well as all records that are less than 50 years old, are restricted. Papers of the faculty and staff may be restricted at the discretion of the donor. Oral history interviews are made available subject to specific restrictions imposed by interviewees.
Arrangement: The archives are arranged in record groups under the following major headings:
Organizational History: The New York Cancer Hospital, which was founded in 1884, was one of the first hospitals devoted entirely to the research and treatment of cancer. Later known as the General Memorial Hospital for Cancer and Allied Diseases (1899-1916) and then as Memorial Hospital, it was vastly expanded and modernized in 1936 as a result of contributions by John D. Rockefeller, Jr. and the General Education Board. In 1945, the Sloan Kettering Institute was created to conduct intensive research in oncology. The two separate corporate entities forged a close relationship between clinical and laboratory research, and in 1960 the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center was formed to serve as an administrative umbrella for the hospital and institute.
Throughout its history, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center has been dedicated to patient care, research, and education. The archives contain correspondence and memoranda, laboratory notebooks, reports, lectures, publications, photographs, and films which document the history of cancer management, treatment, and prevention.
The MSKCC archives contain two special record groups:
HAYES MARTIN Papers, 1782-(1910-1960)-1973. 7 cu. ft.
Hayes Martin, author and a cancer surgeon affiliated with Memorial Hospital, collected materials relating to the treatment of cancer, to the history of Memorial Hospital, and to certain individuals associated with it. The collection includes biographical information on James Ewing, James Douglas, and J. Marion Sims; material on Mme. Curie's visits to the United States in the 1920s; and files on cancer therapies and quackery. Also in the collection are notes, materials, and drafts relating to both editions of Martin's Surgery of Head and Neck Tumors.
JAMES EWING SOCIETY Records, 1936-1981. 13 cu. ft. Known since 1976 as the Society of Surgical Oncology, this organization was founded by, and initially only open to, the students of James Ewing. The collection includes membership records, minutes of meetings, correspondence and subject files, and photographs.
SPELMAN FUND OF NEW YORK ARCHIVES, 1928-1950
Size: 42 cu. ft.
Contents: The collection includes administrative records, ledgers and journals, correspondence, audits, publications, bulletins, and newsletters of organizations in which the fund was interested. Most of the papers are from the 1930s.
Arrangement: Arranged in five series:
Organizational History: The Spelman Fund of New York was incorporated on December 27, 1928, with a grant of $10 million from the Laura Spelman Rockefeller Memorial, which was being merged with the Rockefeller Foundation. The Spelman Fund was established for "charitable, scientific and educational purposes, including the advancement and diffusion of knowledge concerning child life, the improvement of interracial relations, and cooperation with public agencies." Although the Fund completed the administration of grants previously made by the Laura Spelman Rockefeller Memorial, the main program was in public administration and inter governmental relations. Programs were designed to improve technical knowledge, promote exchange of knowledge and experience, and discover improved methods of organization. The Fund was dissolved in 1949.
Trilateral Commission (North America), 1972-2001
Size: 217 cubic feet
Contents: The Trilateral Commission (North America) collection primarily consists of meeting records including the early consultations leading to the Commission's formation in 1973, as well as documentation of their principal international meetings and executive committee meetings. The collection is particularly strong in documenting the Commission's publications and policy studies. Correspondence, officer's files, and a selection of membership and financial records are also available. Files for the regional commissions in Europe and Japan are not represented in the collection.
Arrangement: The collection is arranged into seven series:
Organizational History: The Trilateral Commission is a discussion group focused mainly on policy studies which was founded in 1973 by David Rockefeller and several other prominent private sector leaders of North America, Europe and Japan to broaden the understanding of international issues and their transnational impact. The Commission was originally established for a 3 year period. It has since been renewed for successive triennia, most recently for a 13th triennium to be completed in 2012.
See the online finding aid for futher information.
UNION TANK CAR COMPANY RECORDS, 1889-1978
See Collection Guide
Size: 8 reels of 35mm microfilm
Contents: The Union Tank Car Company records are available only on microfilm.
The records are incomplete only partially document the company's activities. The records include correspondence, memoranda, clippings, pamphlets, reports, financial and legal materials, and blueprints.
Arrangement: The Union Tank Car Company Records are organized into three series:
Organizational History: The Union Tank Car Company (UTCC) originated in the Star Tank Line, founded in 1866 by J. J. Vandergrift, one of the early competitors of the Standard Oil Company, the line handled oil freight between the Pennsylvania oil fields and Chicago. After Vandergrift's holdings were sold to Standard Oil in 1873, the Star Tank Line became that company's carrier. The name was changed to Union Tank Car Company in 1878. The Union Tank Line remained exclusively a carrier of Standard Oil products until the dissolution of the Trust in 1911. Greater diversification of customers and services developed during the 1920s and 1930s. This was signaled as well by the change of name to UTCC and the relocation of the company's offices to Chicago in 1927. After 1931, the UTCC branched into chemical hauling and tank car manufacturing. In 1957, the UTCC acquired the Graver and Phoenix Manufacturing Companies, the first in a series of corporate mergers which was to make the UTCC one of the largest tank carrier companies in the world. In 1969, the UTCC created a holding company, Trans Union Corporation, and the latter company, together with its subsidiaries (including UTCC), was acquired in 1981 by The Marmon Group, owned by the Pritzler Family of Chicago.
WOMEN'S CLUB OF POCANTICO HILLS RECORDS, 1909-1954
Size: 1 cu. ft.
Contents: The collection consists of three volumes of minutes.
Photographic Collection: No
Organizational History: Abby Aldrich Rockefeller was a charter member of the Women's Club of Pocantico Hills, whose object was "mutual improvement and general usefulness." The club's programs included papers on literary and historic topics, women's place in politics, child labor, demonstrations of flower arranging, and music recitals.
Search All Collection Guides
|Copyright © The Rockefeller Archive Center. All rights reserved.|