Other OrganizationsInstitute of International Education
Size: 109.5 cu. ft. of paper records and 1214 reels of microfilm (including 650 reels of unique content and duplicates)
The vast majority of the Institute of International Education collection available at the RAC is microfilm of Alumni Files and the Grantee Files. These microfilm records consist of an estimated 3 million files pertaining to the students and professors involved in the IIE's exchange programs, and document the administration of their awards and travel. The Historical Files pertain to the administration of the IIE's programs.
It is recommended that the Alumni Files and Grantee Files be used in concert with the available Grantee Locator cards. The Grantor Locator cards are an extensive, but not comprehensive, alphabetical index of the Alumni/Grantees maintained by IIE staff spanning the 1920s to the 1990s. The cards primarily provide program and date information as well as field of study. The cards can also be used as an entry point to the microfilm, with many of the cards providing roll number, side number and index number for the given grantee.
The collection also contains photographs, still images, slides, publications produced by the Institute of International Education (IIE), publications produced by IIE in partnership with others, as well as publications collected by IIE that were produced by other foundations, institutions and government agencies, including reports, pamphlets, surveys, conference proceedings, policy papers, a selection of IIE Annual Reports and Bulletins.
Arrangement: The Institute of International Education collection available at RAC is arranged in four record groups:
The Council for International Exchange of Scholars (CIES) collection is available at the University of Arkansas
The Emergency Committee in Aid of Displaced Foreign Scholars records are available at the New York Public Library
The International Fellowship Fund (IFF) Archives are available at Columbia University
The Institute of International Education (IIE) was established in 1919 by Nobel Prize winners Nicholas Murray Butler, Elihu Root and Stephen Duggan, Sr. The founders sought greater understanding among nations, primarily through the establishment of international educational exchange between United States institutes of higher education and foreign actors interested in formulating and developing active and ongoing educational understanding. As the Institute grew, developed and matured, it has continued to focus in the area of scholars exchange, as well as education services, international development and leadership training.
IIE initially focused on facilitating student, faculty, and teacher exchanges with European countries. In the 1930s their scope expanded beyond Europe to include exchanges between the Soviet Union and Latin America. During this period the Institute also established the Emergency Committee to Aid Displaced German Scholars which later expanded to include scholars fleeing facist Spain and Italy as well. In the 1950s this program was utilized to support Hungarian refugees. In the early 2000s IIE Trustees together with other donors endowed the Scholar Rescue Fund (SRF).
Following WWII, the Institute helped establish the Association of International Educators (NAFSA) and the Council on International Education Exchange (CIEE) for which they serve to administer the CIEE faculty component and the graduate student component of the Fullbright program, which continues to today as the Institute's largest program.Search All Collection Guides